Brian Cressall insatiable appetite, unending curiosity
Blog

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Stuffed French Toast

While my wife was out learning how to take better pictures, I decided to treat myself to a new sweet breakfast.  I mostly followed this recipe to create a sandwich-like french toast.  I didn't want a real bulky french toast "sandwich", so I thinly sliced some homemade bread made by a neighbor.  Since it was a few days old, it was perfect as french toast bread.

To top it off, I added homemade strawberry jam, fresh strawberry pieces, and whipped cream.  My mouth is watering just describing it again.  Since it turned out so well, I made it for my wife for dinner the same day!  Goes well with bacon.

The Ingredients
  • 2 ounces cream cheese
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • milk
  • a dash of nutmeg
  • strawberry jam
  • strawberries
  • 4 slices of bread
  • whipped cream

The Directions
  1. Mix the cream cheese and vanilla.  It's helpful to warm up the cream cheese for ease in mixing and spreading.  Spread the mix on 2 slices of bread.  Sanwich the pieces (filling side in!).
  2. Mix 1 egg with a little bit of milk -- 1 to 2 tablespoons. Add a dash of nutmeg.
  3. Dip the bread in the egg mixture or brush onto the bread to avoid making it more soggy than necessary.
  4. Cook both sides.  For serving, I slice the sandwich diagonally to create 2 triangles.
  5. Warm up the strawberry jam.  It helps keep the french toast warm instead of cooling it off.
  6. Add strawberries.  I like them cubed.
  7. Add whipped cream.

Yield
Makes 2 french toast sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment